OFFICIAL RULES FOR THE iHISTORY WW2 CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. The “iHistory WW2” Contest (“Contest”) begins 12:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) October 1, 2013 and ends 11:59 PM ET January 31, 2014 ("Contest Period"). The Contest entry period begins 12:00 AM ET October 1, 2013 and ends 11:59 PM ET November 20, 2013 (the “Entry Period”).
2. Eligibility: Open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are between thirteen (13) and eighteen (18) years of age as of October 1, 2013 and are currently enrolled in a public or private junior high or high school, or home-schooled with an accredited and recognized home-schooling program. Entrants must not have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and cannot be enrolled as full-time students in a college or university. A MINOR SHOULD HAVE HIS/HER PARENT’S OR LEGAL GUARDIAN’S PERMISSION TO ENTER.
3. How to Enter: You can enter the Contest by completing the following steps:
1) Between August 19, 2013 and November 20, 2013, complete and submit all required elements for The Veterans History Project of the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress (“VHP”) as more fully detailed on the website at www.iHistoryProjectww2.org. The subject of the VHP submission must be a WWII veteran. VHP submission will be reviewed and, if complete and approved, entrant will be granted access to complete Step 2. Submission of erroneous or incomplete information will void the submission and result in disqualification from further participation in the Contest.
2) Between October 1, 2013 and November 20, 2013, visit www.iHistoryProjectww2.org; then complete and submit the official entry form by providing your first and last name, street address, city, state, zip code, e-mail address, phone number (including area code), date of birth, video (produced using footage shot during veteran interview for VHP submission) portraying a personal account of a veteran’s experience during WWII, video title and video description (the official entry form and video shall be referred to herein as the "Entry"). Videos must be submitted in .mov, mp4.wmv, .mpg, or .avi format, must be no larger than 500 MB in size and must be between three (3) and five (5) minutes in length.
Submission of erroneous or incomplete information will void the submitted Entry. Limit one (1) Entry per person and per e-mail address for duration of Entry Period. If multiple Entries are received in excess of the stated limitation from any person or e-mail address during the Entry Period, only the first Entry received from such person or e-mail address will be considered. All Entries must be in English. All Entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Except as otherwise provided herein, Sponsor will not enter into any correspondence with an Entrant regarding an Entry. Should multiple users of the same e-mail account enter the Contest and a dispute thereafter arises regarding the identity of the Entrant, the authorized account subscriber of said e-mail account at the time of Entry will be considered the Entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. “Authorized account subscriber” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization, which is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. All Entries must be received no later than November 20, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. ET to be considered.
Your Entry may not contain any content that the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, determines to be:
(a) Vulgar, offensive, sexually explicit, profane or pornographic;
(b) derogatory of any race, ancestry, place of origin, color, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability; endorses any form of hate or hate group; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people, products or companies;
(c) violent or promotes the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, or weapons; promotes unsafe activities;
(d) promotes any political agenda or message;
(e) appears to duplicate any other submitted Entry;
(f) contains copyrighted materials owned by others (including music, lyrics, or images published on or in websites, television, movies or other media) without permission; or contains trademarks, logos or trade dress (such as distinctive packaging or building exteriors/interiors) owned by others without permission;
(g) contains any personal identification, such as persons’ names, e-mail addresses, street addresses or license plate numbers;
(h) communicates messages inconsistent with the positive image of the Sponsor’s name and brand; or (i) violates any law.
The Sponsor reserves the right to reject any Entry which Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, does not meet the above criteria or is otherwise offensive or is not in keeping with the Sponsor’s image and reputation. Sponsor reserves the right to remove any Entry without prior notice.
4. By entering, you represent and warrant that (a) you are the sole owner of your Entry and all rights in your Entry; (b) you have the right to submit the Entry and to transfer and assign to the Sponsor all rights in the Entry; (c) your Entry consists of only your original work and no part of your Entry has previously been published anywhere else; (d) you have not granted any person, corporation or other entity any rights to use your Entry; (e) your Entry meets the criteria in Section 3; (f) your Entry does not defame or violate the rights of publicity or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon the publicity rights or privacy of any third person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or other third party rights; and (g) your entry is not offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, nor does it violate any law; and (h) if your Entry contains third party elements not owned by you, you have obtained written consent from those owners to submit your Entry and, if requested to do so, you can and will produce such written consent in a form and manner acceptable to the Sponsor. Failure to provide such proof on request may render your Entry null and void. By submitting an Entry, you warrant and represent that you consent to the submission and use of the Entry in the Contest and to its use as otherwise set forth herein.
Entrants understand and agree that they shall retain all ownership rights in Entry (and any Contest-related materials); however, by submitting an Entry (or Contest-related materials), Entrant hereby grants Sponsor a perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licenseable and transferable license to edit, publish, use, adapt, exploit, modify or dispose of any Entry (or Contest-related materials), in whole or in part, online, in print, film, television, or in any other media now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity without compensation, permission or notification to Entrant or any third party, for any purpose whatsoever.
By submitting an Entry, you acknowledge and agree that Sponsor may obtain many submissions in this Contest and that your Entry may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to others submitted in this Contest or other contests sponsored by the Sponsor, or to other ideas conceived by or provided to Sponsor, and you waive any and all claims you have or may have, now or in the future, that any Entry and/or other works accepted, reviewed and/or used by the Sponsor (or its designees) are similar or identical to your Entry. Except where prohibited by law, you acknowledge and agree that the Sponsor does not have now, nor shall it have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to your Entry.
By entering, Entrants understand and agree that their Entry may be posted on www.iHistoryProjectww2.org and/or www.youtube.com/ihistoryproject for viewing and rating by visitors during the first tier of judging. Released Parties (as defined below) are not liable for the use of any Entry by any third party. Entrant acknowledges and agrees that Released Parties have no, nor shall have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to any Entry.
5. Judging: All eligible Entries received will be judged by qualified judges selected by Sponsor as described below. There will be two (2) tiers of judging. All entries will be judged based on the following criteria.
1) Content/Story: Video provides a cohesive and compelling story of personal sacrifice, has a unique and innovative approach to covering the specified topic guidelines, is accurate, informative and of superior quality, and demonstrates any of the following virtues: courage, loyalty, integrity, respect, overcoming prejudice, honor, self-sacrifice, perseverance, leadership, humility, forgiveness, and service to the country.
2) Quality of Production: Video production: visual aesthetics, cinematography, quality of interview’s audio (audio is clear and appropriate; music and sound effects are consistent with the actions on the screen), lighting, and adherence to time limit.
3) Editing Skill: Video displays a cohesive edit (continuity, pace of editing which prevents boredom or negative adaptation, good video color, good use of graphics, and graphic legibility).
First Tier: All eligible Entries received during the Entry Period will be judged by a panel of qualified judges selected by Promoter based on the weighting below to determine the top ten (10) Entries in each Category, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules.
In the event of a tie, an additional, “tie-breaking” judge will determine the Entry/Entries which will proceed to the Second Tier based on the above stated criteria. The ten (10) Entries in each Category with the highest scores from the First Tier, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, will be deemed “semi-finalists”. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than ten (10) Entries to advance to the Second Tier, if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entries.
Online Rating (First Tier only): All Entries will be displayed for rating at www.iHistoryProjectww2.org between 12:00 AM ET January 6, 2014 and 11:59 PM ET January 17, 2014 (the “Online Rating Period”) and the ratings for each Entry will be tallied. The total aggregate rating (as determined by Sponsor) will account for 10% of participants First Tier score as described above. Limit one (1) rating per Entry, per person and per day for the duration of the Online Rating Period. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining ratings by any fraudulent or inappropriate means or practices, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public and/or using any websites designed to induce individuals or provide other incentives to rate their Entry, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Use of script, macro or any automated system or practice to rate the Entries or with the intent to impair or subvert the integrity of the rating process is prohibited and all such ratings will be void.
The semi-finalist Entry with the highest overall score in each Category) will be deemed the winner for that category, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. The next two (2) highest overall scores in the Grand, First and Second Prize Category will be deemed the First and Second Prize winners, respectively, subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. In the event of a tie, an additional, “tie-breaking” judge will determine the winner, based on the above stated criteria. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Sponsor reserves the right to not award all prizes if, in its sole discretion, it determines it has not received a sufficient number of qualified eligible Entries.
6. Prizes: Grand Prize package (1): one (1) Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k (Estimated Retail Value (“ERV”) $3,000.00), one (1) Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens (ERV $500.00), one (1) SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 480GB (ERV $370.00) and $775.00 cash (awarded as a $775.00 check). Total ERV of Grand Prize package is $4,645.00. School Grand Prize package (1) (awarded to the school where the Grand Prize winner is currently enrolled): one (1) Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k (ERV $3,000.00), one (1) Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens (ERV $500.00) and one (1) SanDisk Extreme Solid State Drive 480GB (ERV $370.00). Total ERV of School Grand Prize package is $3,870.00. First Prize package (1): one (1) Manfrotto 055XV Aluminum Tripod & 701HDV Video Head (ERV $220.00), one (1) Impact Qualite 300 Focusing Flood 2 Light Kit (ERV $235.00), one (1) Zoom H1 Ultra-Portable Digital Audio Recorder (ERV $100.00) and one (1) SanDisk microSDHC Memory Card Ultra UHS-I 16GB (ERV $15.00). Total ERV of First Prize package is $570.00. Second Prize package (1): one (1) Manfrotto 055XV Aluminum Tripod & 701HDV Video Head (ERV $220.00), one (1) Impact Qualite 300 Focusing Flood 2 Light Kit (ERV $235.00), one (1) Zoom H1 Ultra-Portable Digital Audio Recorder (ERV $100.00) and one (1) SanDisk microSDHC Memory Card Ultra UHS-I 16GB (ERV $15.00). Total ERV of Second Prize package is $570.00. Best Story Prize package (1): one (1) Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (ERV $1,000.00), one (1) Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Lens (ERV $390.00), one (1) SanDisk - 32GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme (ERV $60.00) and $300.00 cash (awarded as a $300.00 check). Total ERV of Best Story Prize package is $1,750.00. Best Editing Prize package (1): one (1) Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (ERV $1,000.00), one (1) Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G- Series Lens (ERV $390.00), one (1) SanDisk - 32GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme (ERV $60.00) and $300.00 cash (awarded as a $300.00 check). Total ERV of Best Editing Prize package is $1,750.00. Total ERV of all prizes combined is $13,155.00. Winners will be responsible for all taxes (including federal, state and local taxes) and any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of the prize not described herein as being awarded. All prize details are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Limit one (1) prize per person and per e-mail address for the duration of the Contest Period.
7. Notifications: Potential winners will be contacted via telephone and/or e-mail on or about February 4, 2014. If any e-mail to a potential winner is undeliverable, any phone number provided by a potential winner is incorrect or no longer in service, a response to any given e-mail or phone call is not received within three (3) business days of date of its issuance or any potential winner does not comply with these Official Rules, the prize may be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, awarded to the eligible entry with the next highest score. Potential winners (or his/her parent/legal guardian if potential winner is a minor) will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility and a liability release and, where legal, a publicity release within five (5) days of date of issuance of those documents or the prize may be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, awarded to the eligible entry with the next highest score. If any winner is a minor or at least 18 but still considered a minor in his/her state of residence, prize may be awarded in the name of his/her parent or legal guardian who will be required to comply with all requirements imposed on winners set forth herein. If any potential winner does not comply with these Official Rules or prize or prize notification is undeliverable, the prize may be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, awarded to the eligible entry with the next highest score. Winners may not disclose winning status until publicly announced by Sponsor. School Grand Prize Notification: The Grand Prize winner’s school will be notified by telephone and/or e-mail and will have three (3) business days to respond to such notification by the method specified therein. An authorized officer of the school will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability, and unless prohibited, a Publicity Release form within five (5) business days of date of issuance. If any e-mail to an authorized officer of the school is undeliverable, a response to any given e-mail or phone call is not received within three (3) business days of date of its issuance or does not return the required documents with the time specified, the prize may be forfeited and will not be awarded. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its designees to use school’s name, image, trademarks and/or logos, and/or biographical material for purposes of advertising, promotional and other purposes in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world for a period of two (2) years from the conclusion of the Contest, without further compensation, notification or permission unless prohibited by law.
8. Employees of Worthington Foundation, Inc., (“Sponsor”), VideoMaker, USWings, Military Connection, Trymark Consulting Group, L.L.C., and their respective parents, affiliates, franchisees, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, spokespeople and the immediate families (spouse, parents, children and siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and individuals living in the same households of such employees, whether or not related, are ineligible to enter or win. Void where prohibited. Subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
9. By participating, you agree: a) to abide by these Official Rules, and to the decisions of Sponsor and the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects; b) to the use of your name, likeness and biographical data by Sponsor and its designees if selected as a winner for advertising, promotional and other purposes in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity without compensation, right of review or notification (except where prohibited by law); and c) THAT SPONSOR, TRYMARK CONSULTING GROUP, L.L.C., AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENTS, AFFILIATES, FRANCHISEES, SUBSIDIARIES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, RETAILERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND SUPPLIERS, AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, SHAREHOLDERS, AGENTS, AND EMPLOYEES (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS OR INJURY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST, SPONSOR’S OR ITS DESIGNEES’ USE OF ANY ENTRY (OR ANY CONTEST-RELATED MATERIALS), OR THE USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZES. PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED BY SPONSOR. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, delayed, interrupted or unavailable, network, server, cable, satellite, Internet Service Provider (ISP) or other connections, miscommunications, failed phone, computer or telephone transmissions or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, or other errors or malfunctions of any kind whether computer, network, human, mechanical, electronic, printing, typographical or otherwise relating to or in connection with this Contest, including, without limitation, errors or problems which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging or rating of Entries, the tabulation of ratings, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials or for any damage to your or other person’s computer hardware or software as a result of participation. Released Parties are not responsible for Entries (or any Contest-related materials) that are lost, late, stolen, inaccurate, incomplete, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, postage-due, garbled or delayed by computer transmissions. Persons found tampering with or abusing any aspect of this Contest or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by the judges, will be disqualified and all associated Entries will be void. Every Entry must be manually keystroked and manually entered by you and repetitive automated electronic submission of Entries is specifically disallowed. Use of script, macro or automated entry software or programs or other means or practices which subvert the entry process is prohibited and all such Entries will be void. If the Contest is compromised by virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Contest, or if the Contest is unable to run as planned for any other reason, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend or terminate the Contest or any portion thereof and/or terminate the participation of any Entrant (and void his/her Entry) whose conduct potentially compromises the Contest and at its sole discretion award the prizes from among all eligible, non-suspect Entries received prior to the act requiring such suspension or termination using the applicable judging procedure outlined above. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
10. AS A CONDITION OF PARTICIPATING, YOU AGREE THAT A) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, IF ANY, AND B) ALL CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THIS CONTEST, OR ANY COMPENSATION OR CREDIT TO BE PROVIDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; AND C) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS, AND AWARD SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET COSTS INCURRED, IF ANY, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL YOU BE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE ATTORNEYS’ FEES OR OTHER LEGAL COSTS OR EXPENSES.
12. The names of the winners (available after February 20, 2014) and/or a copy of these Official Rules may be obtained by mailing a self-addressed, stamped #10 envelope to: The “iHistory WW2” Contest - Winners/Rules (please specify which), P.O. Box 295, Gainesville, VA 20156, for receipt no later than April 20, 2014. VT residents omit return postage on rules requests.
13. Sponsor: Worthington Foundation, Inc., P.O. Box 2188, Alamogordo, NM 88311.
Promoter: Trymark Consulting Group, L.L.C., P.O. Box 295, Gainesville, VA 20156.
The Veterans History Project of the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress is not a sponsor of this contest.
Register now to access our step-by-step guide, release forms, and resources!
Signup for our Newsletter
November 7, 2013
By: Jeffrey WorthingtonRead more...
Have you just heard about the iHistory WW2 Contest and wondering what it is all about? Here is your challenge: Tell a story, and tell it well...
November 6, 2013
By: Jeffrey WorthingtonRead more...
The Worthington Foundation is providing links to some great FREE resources for students to give their 3-5 minute mini video documentary a creative edge! Browse our collection of free...
November 4, 2013
By: Jeffrey WorthingtonRead more...
The iHistory WW2 Contest has been getting a lot of attention from the education and military community this Fall! Below are some of the highlights...